There is newer version of pngnq: pngnq s9. Please use that instead!
- Removed optimizations that sacrificed quality — new version is 2× slower, but produces much better results.
- Better handling of alpha channel when remapping and dithering — very transparent areas are smoother.
- Added special handling of alpha channel in a few places — transparent areas of the image get less colors, leaving more for opaque areas.
- Color reduction is done on gamma-corrected colors — dark and bright colors appear to be distributed evenly.
- Added soft floyd-steinberg dithering — images with gradients appear smoother, but without too much noise.
Version 0.9, January 2009.
Binary for Mac OS X (Universal, 10.4 or newer)
Run it from Terminal:
/path/to/pngnq /path/to/file.png(you can use drag'n'drop instead of typing paths)
GUI for Mac OS X (Universal, 10.5)
Source code (all platforms)
Mouse over images to see them on dark background.
|Globe Fish Bowl 128 colors|
|Lena + alpha channel 128 colors|
|Lena with alpha channel 128 colors dithered|